We've had a lot of demand from the grandparents for more pictures. I don't think that they'll ever let us stop posting, but since we enjoy it - it's all good.
Eli Update:
Lungs are looking remarkably better - including the structural problems which had us extremely worried earlier. He is breathing unassisted normal air. The doctors believe that his esophagus is working properly despite some dark brown spit-up that had us worried earlier this week. He does have pretty severe reflux (common in babies with TEFs) and has been given medicine to help counteract it. He has started bottle feeds, but has an Oral Aversion because of the trauma of being on the vent, not eating, and having a major surgery done on his esophagus. Basically he refuses to suck and cannot stand having anything in or near his mouth. He will begin to see a specialist to help him overcome this problem, but we are told it can be a long and arduous process for him to overcome the aversion. He is also scheduled to see a geneticist later this week to make sure his congenital defect was not part of a more global syndrome.
(The first captured glimsp of Eli's precious eyes)

(eating via an NG tube)
Noah Update:
Noah has had two visits to the pediatrician this past week. The first one he claimed his fame by peeing all over the doctor, himself, the wall, and of course his car seat. By the second visit we had learned to use a napkin as a shield when getting him undressed to weigh him. He had lost some weight after coming home from the hospital which had the pediatricians pretty worried, but he had made progress by the second visit and so for now he is in the clear. We have discovered that Noah has GBS (
Grunting Baby Syndrome). Basically he grunts non-stop. He'll turn all red and hold his breath and arch his back all in the attempt to relieve himself. If you check out the link, it says that it is basically harmless - he is just trying to get down the coordination of flexing the abdomen while relaxing his bottom - we all take for granted that going number 2 is something that we have to learn. Noah just doesn't have it down yet. He is also getting famous around here for his explosive poo which you can hear all the way on the other side of our apartment - yes it is that loud.
(Noah refusing to swallow - our rabid child)
5 comments:
The boys are so adorable! When they get to be much older, they'll eat you out of house and home. You'll wonder if they ever had trouble eating. Seriously, I am glad they are both doing better. Joy
They both look so good. It's amazing how much healthier they can look with their eyes open. I still can't beleive how much they look alike. I know they are twins and all but I'm afraid I am going to have a hard time telling them apart when they both get home. Glad they are doing so good. Let me know if we can help.
Debbie
HOLY COW!!! Eli is really starting to look more and more like Noah! You guys are going to have your hands full! I had no idea there was such a thing as GBS! That's hilarious!!! Those boys are too cute!!!
I love it when they open their eyes. I think that's when they start to look like little people. Good to see that both babies and you two are doing well. And I am sure those explosive poop stories will bring back sweet memories to laugh about later. It's not so funny being elbow deep in you-know-what.
We're so glad to hear they are both doing well. I love to see Eli's eyes open! Have they started talk as to when Eli will be released? They are so precious and we wish you guys the best of luck this week with the boys learning to eat and poop! :)
Post a Comment