27 September 2008

Following Eli's Kidneys

As far as I know there are three routine ways to measure the functioning of the kidneys apart from ultrasounds and renal scans. They can measure urine output, Creatinine levels and BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) levels. Creatinine and BUN are byproducts of the body that the Kidneys are supposed to filter out of the blood. High Creatinine and BUN levels indicate poor kidney function in that they're not filtering enough of these toxic byproducts out of the blood. To the right I've posted Eli's creatinine and BUN numbers for the past couple of weeks. His urine output has been consistently good since his lungs recovered. In some ways his numbers are trending in the right direction, but they are still dangerously high and the longer they stay elevated the worse the chances for his left kidney to recover (remember that his right one has essentially failed already). I'll keep posting his Creatinine and BUN levels daily as they come in from the lab. These numbers aren't a perfect yardstick of kidney health, but they are helpful to know if he is improving or not. As per request here's another video. This one is of Noah.

2 comments:

Jenna and Drew said...

You are super mom Amanda! I love that Noah's mouth is open while he sleeps, does he do that all the time? So cute! I hope Eli's numbers continue to steadily go up. Little guys could really use another miracle in his health.

Megan, Peter, and Benjamin said...

He is adorable!! Thank you so much for sharing!! And, like Jenna said, you are a super mom!! And what a super dad Aaron is to be taking the video!! Keep up your spirits!!