29 August 2008

Pulmonary Vascular Hypoplasia

Some bad news. After a 1+ hour echocardiogram today to try to figure out why Eli's oxygenation levels are so low, they diagnosed him with a rare condition known as pulmonary vascular hypoplasia. Basically, this means that his pulmonary (lung) arteries, where they branch out in their furthermost parts, are severely underdevloped. This is a congenital defect. His lungs themselves are full size, it is the vessels in them that are not properly developed. This condition is extremely rare. The lead neonatologist of the NICU at UK said that she has never seen this. She said that as far as she knows no one ever has. The pediatric surgeon agreed with her. Eli's underdeveloped pulmonary arteries explain why in spite of "every known intervention" Eli is still not oxygenating his blood properly. The relief of finding out what was wrong was soon overshadowed by the knowledge that there is essentially no knowledge about this condition - no treatment, no prior cases - nothing to go off of. Every question we asked was answered by "we don't know - no one does." I can only speculate on Eli's prognosis because "no one knows." This is of course hard to take. The current plan is for them to try to get the interventions and medicines at the best minimal balance and then "wait and see." The hope is of course that with more time, the distal parts of his pulmonary arteries will develop more and expand thereby decreasing the pressure in his lungs and raising oxygenation. There are no guarantees or statistics - only speculation and guesswork. On the bright side, despite this bad news, Eli has done surprisingly well today. His oxygen levels have been increasing all day. Last we heard they were 101 (the doctors would be happy with having them in the 40s or 50s since he has a lung problem). His oxygen levels have remained high even after an hour long echocardiogram, changing out all of his medications (which means he was off of his meds for a couple of minutes while they were changed), and putting in another pic line (an IV that leads directly to his heart). We as Eli's parents are hoping for the best. We do know (and I reemphasize know) that Eli is in the Lord's hands. God has blessed us with two wonderful, beautiful boys and we pray that he will let us raise Eli. We pray that he will be ok. We ask others to pray with us for we believe that there is power in numbers. We know that families are eternal.

6 comments:

Megan said...

I don't know what to say other than how sorry I am to hear this bad news. We're thinking about you guys all the time, and checking updates often. We will continue to pray for little Eli and for your whole family.

((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Aaron and Amanda,

My heart aches for you. Your babies are deserve the best of everything.

Let me gently propose that Eli may have VACTERL association (a.k.a VATER, VATERS). When you name something, you get a new degree of power over it; and it helps to know your family isn't alone. University of Kansas has a web site on the issue, http://www.kumc.edu/gec/support/vater.html. Their doctors may be able to help yours, if yours concur with my armchair diagnosis. Also there are support groups, whose members may have practical advice.

I love you guys. Even though we're far away, Joseph, Michael, Bryan and I are thinking of you every day.

Love Always,
Katie

Anonymous said...

I can't sleep for thinking of all you are going through. I wish I could just tell your doctors to verify that Eli does not have any other VACTERL symptoms right now and to get on top of the symptoms he has... It's 4 A.M. there... I sent Mom and Dad text messages. I'm sure you guys will broach the idea with the doctors in the morning.

If the VACTERL incidents have been higher in Lexington this year, that might warrant an e-mail to the CDC.

I wish I could do something to help. I wish I could give you answers and cures.

To bed with me.
Katie

Anonymous said...

Amanda and Aaron,

We are so sorry to hear this news about Eli's condition. We continue to pray for him and your family on a daily basis. I think Noah has the right idea in that he needs to stay with his brother and we all know that miracles occur everyday and we are praying for one for Eli.

We love you and are pulling for Eli and Noah to get better soon and come home with their mom and dad.

Love,
Aunt Kim, Uncle Gary and Rachaelle

Anonymous said...

Aaron and Amanda,

I pray for Eli every day around lunch time (I always happen to think of him then) and at night when I go to bed. I update Daniel (my husband) on his condition daily and remind him to pray for him every day.

Thinking of you,

Kari

Anonymous said...

Amanda, your boys are beautiful and i continue to pray that they get stronger and better each day. I have spoke to a couple of doctors that I work with and Dr Jan Quaegebeur is a pediatric cardiovascular surgeon in New York who may be able to help Eli. His number is (212)-305-5975 Also Dr Zvi Marans (201) 599-0026 They both work through columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York and work together a lot. Contact Quaegebeur first. Also the Childrens hospital in Philedelphia has an incredible pediatric cardiovascular program. I'm also waiting for a pediatric cardiologist here in Memphis to call me back. I believe someone here at Lebonheur Childrens hospital may could help. Please call me. My cell is 901-461-0684. Also my Dad called me last night and told me about your mom. I am so sorry to hear this. I cant imagine dealing with so many things at one time. I pray that God gives you the strength to deal with all of this. Love your cousin Erica