11 August 2008

Mixed emotions

As it is getting closer and closer to the twins arrival, I can't help but have mixed emotions. Part of me is so excited! I can't wait to meet these two little boys that have been growing inside of me. I also can't wait for this pregnancy to be over - I am so ready to feel somewhat normal again. But another part of me is scared out of my mind. I can't help but wonder if we made a mistake. I felt totally ready for one baby but two is more than I bargained for. So I just want to ask all you mothers out there if you had similar feelings. Is it normal to be completely overwhelmed and, to be honest, freaked about being a mother? Do these emotions change once the baby (or in my case, babies) come or do they get worse? Feel free to give all the advice you've got because I could sure use it...

4 comments:

John and Erin said...

Im no mother yet, but I feel like you are completely justified in your feelings! However, we both know that you and Aaron are the best ones for the job or Heavenly Father wouldn't have sent those two beautiful babies your way. You guys are going to be GREAT!!! You especially are going to be a FANTASTIC mother. We have a really good family friend whose first child(ren) was a set of twin girls and she always says that its really no different than having one. All the steps are the same, and all the parenting things are the same...so dont get overwhelmed! You can do it!!! And remember if you ever need ANYTHING just call!!! Ill be there in a second!!!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
Every pregnant woman has felt this way before and many more times after the babies come. Motherhood is the hardest and most overwhelming job there is but also the most gratifying. All you can do is always let them know how much you love them and learn from your mistakes (because we all make them). Once you see those boys and especially when thy first smile at you and call you Mom you won't be able to imagine a life without them. You know you can call me anytime (even thought I am sure there were times you thought I was a the worst mom ever!) Look at the woman you have become, I must have done some thing right.
Love,
Mom

Megan said...

I didn't feel anxious before I had Aubrey, but I sure did feel that way after. Becoming a mother for the first time is a HUGE deal. That's why it's really important to go easy on yourself. Thankfully my mom was able to come a stay with us for a week after she was born. And I cried for a full day when she left. But I needed to do that. So, what you're feeling now and what you may feel after your sweet boys join your family is completely normal and justified!

Just remember that Heavenly Father understands. And he is so anxious to bless you. With his guidance you can do anything. I've always thought that you and Aaron would make awesome parents...and I know you will!

((hugs))

Melanie said...

I agree with the other comments- you will feel this way MANY more times in your new career as a mom. But you learn and grow together with your babies, and just when you think you've got it down, it changes again... I guess that's not really helpful. But I know you'll be a great mom!

Just watch a few episodes of John and Kate Plus 8 on TLC, and you'll know that mothers are capable of anything!