30 September 2011

I love cloth diapers!


I think I've only mentioned it a couple of times but I have officially switched Sarah to cloth diapers. I know many of you are probably thinking, "Why in the world would you do that?" or you are remembering the days of diaper pins and plastic pants. Cloth diapering has definitely come a long way since then.

I started researching cloth diapers when I was about to potty train the twins. I figured since I would only have 1 in diapers that maybe cloth diapers would work and save us some money. After doing some research I decided to do a trial through a website I found called Moms Milk Boutique. They sent me a bunch of different diapers and I tried them out for 30 days. I sent back all the diapers I didn't like and kept the ones I liked. My cousin also sent me a bunch of diapers that she wasn't using to let me test out. After just a couple weeks on the trial I knew I was going to stick with cloth. I absolutely love it. They are so cute and seem so much more comfortable than disposables. I love not having stinky diapers filling up my trash. I have definitely noticed that we have to empty the garbage way less than when we were using disposables. I also really do not like doing laundry but do not mind doing the cloth diaper laundry. There is something satisfying and relaxing about it.

There are seriously tons of different types of cloth diapers. There are the old fashioned prefolds and flats that you use a cover over. There are fitted diapers, which are shaped just like a disposable and fasten with either snaps or velcro and require a cover to make them waterproof. There are pocket diapers which have a pocket on the inside of the diaper that you stuff with some sort of absorbent insert. There are All in One diapers which are exactly that; the absorbancy is sewn into the diaper and the diaper is completely waterproof.

Here is what I have decided I like:


Prefolds with a cover. Prefolds are super absorbent and work well for overnight. I love that they are easy to launder. Just wash and dry in the dryer. I don't have to worry about my detergent wearing out the elastic or PUL (the waterproof fabric that most diapers use), and they don't have to be line dried. The covers I just take out of the washing machine and either lay them over a chair or hang them outside on the line. They dry super fast since they don't have any absorbent fabric sewn into them.

This was the other night before bed. Her diaper is extra fluffy because it has to last through the night without leaking. She is wearing a Thristies Duo Wrap in the Hoot print over a trifolded prefold.
 Here she is in a Bummis Super Whisper Wrap over a Snappied prefold (my favorite is the jelly roll fold).

The Flip system by Cotton Babies. The Flip diaper is a hybrid diaper. It is a onesize cover (the rise snaps down so it can fit babies from newborn to 30 pounds) with a wipeable inside. They pair with either a stay dry or organic insert that is simply laid inside the cover and then fastened onto the baby. The organic inserts are super absorbent and great for nights. The stay dry inserts are good for daytime and actually do keep Sarah's bum dry to the touch. If you are traveling or something you can also choose to use their disposable insert. The different insert options is what makes the Flip a hybrid diaper. I love these diapers because you can reuse the cover as long as it isn't soiled or stinky; this cuts down on the laundry. The inserts are also super easy to wash and dry.

This is a Flip diaper. You can see the snaps on the front that allow you to adjust the rise. It also closes with snaps (I think you can also get it in velcro closure).

I have a few pocket diapers but I sold most of them. They were just a bit too fussy for me. You have to be extra careful when washing them so that you don't ruin the PUL or the elastic in the legs and if you want them to last long they have to be line dried. Plus you have to stuff the inserts into the pocket before you can put it on the baby. I would stuff all the pockets before putting them away but it took too long. Also pockets are prone to having stink issues and repelling issues. So pockets were a no go for me.

I'll probably post more about cloth diapers in the future for anyone that is interested. I love it and will never go back to disposables. It's funny how the things we enjoy over the years change. I never thought I would be so in love with cloth diapers and getting new diapers in the mail. I guess that's what happens when you become a mom!

I told you cloth diapers are cute! This is a Disney princess diaper with a detachable tutu. I bought it from an amazing WAHM on Hyena Cart.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Very interesting. It's like another language to learn! I don't know if I'd ever use them, but I have to agree that they are SUPER cute! I especially love the pic of Sarah in her diaper tutu- darling!

joannae said...

Thanks for the overview! I use cloth diapers (gDiapers), and I love them. They are beginning to wear out, and I've been considering trying out a different brand (maybe the Flips).

Heather {Butterflygirlms} said...

I'm fairly new to cloth diapering too (6 mos now) and never thought I'd even try them but I was determined while pregnant to try them out and I've never looked back! I love pockets & AI2 diapers.

New follower here too!

Auntie Dar said...

Wow .. wish I had them when you kids were little. I did the cloth for a long time, we had disposables when we were out and about. But they were a pain when the messy ones were really bad and you had 2 kids. Thank goodness someone was smart enough to find a new solution for the younger crowd.
And she's such a cutie in them ;)

Unknown said...

I am planning on doing cloth diapering for this new baby due in Dec. I am so glad you wrote this, I will most likely be writing you with more questions. I haven't decided which route I wanted to take yet... but you have me intrigued with the prefolds, and that you like them... I had basically written them off, because they seemed too difficult, but now I see your point about pocket diapers. I have been most intrigued by the all in ones, but they are pretty pricey. I will have to check more into the Flips. I will need to check out the moms milk boutique to see if I can get diapers sent to me... for free? thanks for the info.