04 February 2011

5 years

Aaron and I at his apartment in March 2006. We lived in the same complex, Canyon Terrace. We had been dating a little over a month when this picture was taken.

 5 years ago tonight I met Aaron. But I can't tell that story without going back a few days.

Monday, January 31, 2006 I was planning on going with my boyfriend at the time to my ward's FHE talent show. We didn't make it though because we were in some sort of disagreement. When I drove him home that night, I decided it would be best just to end the relationship and we broke up.

Wednesday, February 2, 2006 I was hanging out in my apartment with my roommates when a girl in our complex came to the door and invited us over to Ben's apartment for his birthday. I didn't know who Ben was but everyone was going to his apartment to wish him a happy birthday when he got home from working at the MTC. Since my roommates were going, I decided to tag along. Pretty quickly after Ben walked in the door and we all yelled SURPRISE he looked at me and said, "I don't know you." That is when I officially met Ben Schilaty.

Thursday, February 3, 2006 I was bored out of my mind, trying to take a nap on my couch when someone knocked at the door. It was Ben. This is what he said: "I'm going to ask you out on a date. But it's not for me and it might not actually be a date." Needless to say I was confused. He explained that there was this girl that he wanted to go on a date with but that he wanted to play pinochle on said date. In order to do that he needed another couple on the date. His roommate, Aaron, was the one who actually knew how to play pinochle, but Aaron was only willing to do it if Ben found him a date. Ben immediately thought of me since he had just met me the night before. I thought it was slightly weird but agreed.

Friday, February 4, 2006 (5 years ago tonight) I went to a little get together at another apartment in my complex with my roommates. They were all playing Apples to Apples. Ben and Aaron also showed up so that we could quickly meet each other before our date the next night. I always laugh because my first impression of Aaron was that he was a punk. Not like a punk rocker but like someone who is slightly smug. He was wearing a Duke Devils baseball cap. He was cute.

Saturday, February 5, 2006 we went on our double date. Aaron was still wearing his baseball hat. We first went to a stake potluck dinner. We all had to fill out name tags and he wanted me to make up a fake name. I didn't. After the pot luck we went back to Ben and Aaron's apartment to play pinochle. I had never played before and I have never played since. We listened to music that Aaron selected while we played cards. It was Iron and Wine, which I had never heard before. I told him it was weird. I think he was slightly offended. When the game was over the other girl went home. I was about to walk up to my apartment when Ben decided he was hungry and wanted to go to Del Taco. The boys convinced me to go with them. I remember Ben tried to convince me that he used to have a lip ring, that's why he had a hole like scar above his lip. I told him it looked like it was from a pimple/black head. I was right. When we got back to our apartment complex after going to Del Taco, Aaron walked me up to my apartment. He gave me an awkward, one-armed, side hug. I didn't leave the date horrible smitten but knew I would go out with him again if he asked.

To be continued...

5 comments:

Katie Rod said...

This is so cute. Not having that "love at first sight" makes for interesting stories!

beapinkal said...

oh that is so fun:) i can't wait to read more:)

Jenna and Drew said...

That is awesome! And knowing both those boys, I can totally picture ALL of that!

Anonymous said...

I love this so far!! I can't wait for the rest of the story!!!! PLEASE HURRY!

P.S Can't wait to see you today!

Jenna said...

Fun idea! I love hearing about/reading "how we met and fell in love" stories. I can't wait to read more! Also, super cute pic of you two from back then, love it!