29 October 2010
What are we planning for next week?
Something NEW. Something BIG. Something SCARY.

That's right. On Monday, potty training will commence. So far I've prepared by buying several packages of the Gerber training pants (extra thick undies), plastic pants to go over top, and 2 froggy potties. I've been talking the potty up to the boys and telling them that they won't be using diapers next week. I had them try on their undies today which they at first didn't want to put on but then didn't want to take off. I plan on taking the boys out to Walmart tonight once Aaron gets home for the Elmo potty video and some candy and stickers for rewards. I also plan on just tackling this head on - as of Monday we will no longer use diapers. As far as the boys are concerned diapers will be "all done." I will basically lock ourselves inside our home for as long as it takes. In the meantime, say a little prayer for us because I'm predicting this will be HARD.
Here's the big question though to all you experienced moms: What is your best advice when it comes to potty training?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
First off good luck! With JB we're started a couple times, but she just wasn't ready and I was fine with that. I have a friend that does a potty dance when they do go pee in the potty, so you might want to find one it was more like a potty parade haha
But I hear that having them "go" potty every 10 minutes or 20 minutes helps with getting the idea down, maybe a timer or something? Just standing or sitting for 10-20 seconds, something like that
Again, Good Luck!
Wow- that is scary- good luck! I would say don't be surprised or frustrated at how long it really takes to be fully potty trained. I still have to remind Leah to go to the bathroom throughout the day, and she was done with diapers years ago! Praise the good, relax about the accidents- they'll get there eventually!
I don't know about the training, but love the slippers. It sure must be warm in that house if they can run around dressed like that.
Dad
I did a post on this back in June but here is the link that was heaven sent that has helped me to better cope with potty training http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-thoughts-and-tips-on-potty-training.html
Good Luck!
We recently went through this, so here are some little tricks I learned along the way:
-Caleb wasn't really sold on the idea until he watched someone his same age using the potty all by themselves. Since you have two, they will probably learn more quickly than kids doing it by themselves.
-I bought a bunch of Capri Suns, juice, etc to give him lots of "opportunities" to recognize the potty signals. And have a mop handy.
-Caleb had a huge fear of falling in, so I turned him around (to face the tank) and he could hold on to the back of the potty pretty securely. Also, I think always having them sit down to pee (as opposed to standing up) makes the transition to pooping on the potty easier, too.
I never read any books or anything, so this is all just from our experience. And of course, the old phrase "When they are ready, they will do it." I tried a few times in a 6 month period, but he finally had to make the decision himself. But, it also takes you introducing it over and over again, if they don't take to it at first. GOOD LUCK!
Post a Comment