08 March 2010
Yard work
Aaron and I were so excited last week when we realized how nice it was going to be over the weekend. We totally took advantage of the weather and worked outside in the yard all day Saturday. We raked the leaves in the front and back yard filling 13 paper yard waste bags. Aaron dug up the 2nd rose bush/tree thing that was in the middle of our backyard. And we even buried all those ugly white rocks that used to be in the gardens in the front of the house. So now our backyard is looking great and the boys are loving getting to play in it (and I'm loving that I don't have to worry about them choking on rocks, running into a rose bush, or playing with dog poop).
Now we are ready to plant some grass seed in the front of the house and a few spots in the backyard. We're saving that for next weekend though. I also bought a couple of plants at Sam's Club that I'm going to plant next weekend too. I'm really excited about my plants and flowers this year. I put some work into my garden really late in the year last fall and I wasn't too optimistic anything would actually grow. But I am proud to say that all the bulbs I planted last year are popping out of the ground!
And while I'm on the topic of flowers I am also very happy about my orchid. It was part of the arrangement I had made for my mom when she died and I took it home with me when it was blooming and beautiful. Shortly after it came home with me all the flowers fell off and it appeared to be struggling. No blooms or new growth for 10 months but I just kept watering it periodically and hoping it would someday flower again. And then all the sudden one day I looked and it had grown a new "limb" with a bunch of flower buds. They have finally started blooming and it looks so pretty! Three more of the buds have opened up since I took this picture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
the orchid is GORGEOUS!
Hooray for your orchid!! I know how hard it is to wait and wait for your orchid to bloom. My mom raised orchids as a hobby and they are such persnickety little plants, but oh so beautiful.
Post a Comment