05 March 2010

No, No, No!

I feel like this is a word I use a lot. I mean, A LOT! It seems like it's always for the same things too. But my biggest frustration at the moment is a just can't keep them out of the dishwasher. First I try to catch them before they do it. I tell them no and tell them to come here or stay out of the dishwasher. If they open it, I tell them no and tell them to close it. I go over to them and pull them away. I've even tried the whole time out thing. First I would just sit them down wherever they were and make sure they stayed put for a minute or so. Then Noah realized what was happening so whenever I would go to move him away from the dishwasher he would plop right down on his butt in the middle of the kitchen and smile. So I decided that that wasn't working and that they needed a time out spot. About 6 times today I have had to pull them away from the dishwasher and walk them over to the landing by the front door and sit them down. Sometimes they get a little upset but usually Eli just sits there and sucks his thumb and Noah decides it would be fun to hit the door or something like that. You would think making them sit in one place and not move would be devastating but they think it's a game. They sit there and watch me to see if I can see them moving and then sit right back down when I look at them and say no. By the end of the day Noah would run over there and sit down no problem whenever I caught him in the dishwasher. I really don't know what to do. Please help! How do you discipline two 18 month old boys?!

6 comments:

megan kaufman said...

oh amanda, i cannot imagine how to handle two little boys the same age, but i know when teaching my students that the word "no" is a trigger to do something worse or they will up the anty with the sassiness....so i usually just tell them the things that i want them to do. i know they are only 1 1/2 years old and a lot of receptive language is obviously not going to be there. i can only imagine how much you have to be changing what you are doing due to their busyness. when in doubt strap them in their chairs and feed them...right?

E said...

uuummmm yah that is why I don't ever want multiples--you are blessed, and the Lord knows you will figure it out. I am having a rough time with one 2 year old so I can't even imagine having two against me! My only advice is be consistent. Whatever you choose to do, pick one thing and do it consistently they will eventually get hte idea.

Pam said...

Try asking questions like "are you suppose to be there?" It may sound weird to do on such young people but it always works for me.

John and Erin said...

My Aunt Sarah tried time out, and the same thing happened...Chloe would just watch her, waiting for her reaction or to see if she was even paying attention. So Aunt Sarah figured out that if she made Chloe go to the time out spot, but face the wall and keep her nose in the corner, it was devastating (as in not cute or fun anymore) to her and really had an effect. So keep the time out spot thing, but maybe add the face the wall or nose in the corner thing to see if that helps. Just an idea...

Katie Rod said...

That age is just rough...and then you have two of them!!! Time outs didn't really work for our one until he was close to 2 years old. I tell ya something magical happens during the 18-24 month time. Their understanding increases so much and they stop being stinkers 99.9% of the time. Well, it only goes down to like 95% of the time, but then you can start using "bribes" and being put in time-out is actually heartbreaking for them.

Also, I have found that even if they are not repeating (or even listening!) to what you are telling them for the 400th time, one day far down the road they will actually understand it and will listen. So just keep telling them what's wrong and right, and they will figure it out soon enough. Hang in there!!

Unknown said...

Amanda, you need to install the fear in the boys. You need to get the look on your face and when you look at them with it, they know Mom means business and its over. I know you probably don't have that in you, but you have to find it! Ian, Jayden, and Kylie all know the look on my face and know that when I say "no" and look at them, they know I mean business and to stop. Most of the time I don't even have to say "no" anymore, I just have to look at them. You have to get the "mom" look on your face and everything will fall into place! I love you and I miss you!! Kiss the boys for me 80)