07 August 2011

The Big Latch On

On Saturday I went to the Big Latch On Event at Mother Nuture in Lexington. The Big Latch On was an event world-wide to support breastfeeding. Women across the world at select locations nursed their babies at 10:30am local time in an attempt to break a world record. I chose to attend the event because there are so many negative opinions of breastfeeding, especially breastfeeding in public. I don't find anything wrong with it and choose to breastfeed Sarah wherever we are if she needs to eat. When in public I generally use some form of cover just in case but if I don't have a blanket I will nurse as discretely as possible. My picture made the news article in the Herald Leader and I am nursing Sarah without a cover. While many people think a cover is required, I think this picture of me proves that you can nurse without a cover without bearing your breast for all to see. In fact you cannot see my breast at all.

I think many people are unaware of how passionate some people are against breastfeeding. If you have a chance go ahead and read the article and check out the pictures (I am the 4th picture in the slide show.). Then read through the comments readers have posted. It amazes me the negative remarks and how strongly some people feel about it being disgusting and as one person said, "it is boorish behavior and bears public scorn."

3 comments:

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

I'm kind of surprised people would be so worked up against it . . . honestly, I've never given a publicly breastfeeding mother a second thought, so I guess I assumed that nobody did :-) I'm surprised it would bother anyone (as long as nobody's goodies are hanging out all over the place, but I've never seen that in public myself), and you obviously proved it can be done very modestly. I've sometimes felt mildly guilty for not breastfeeding Forrest for longer (we made it to about 3 or 4 months) but I felt like we both gave it a great shot and it really just wasn't making either of us very happy, and he seems to be turning out just dandy with his nursing/formula combo :-) I'm always impressed with moms who make it all the way to a year--it certainly is harder (and a lot less "natural" to get the hang of) than I expected it to be.

joannae said...

Amanda, what a sweet photo of you and Sarah! Breastfeeding is an awesome thing to support. (For some reason it always surprises me that there are people who are offended by this natural, healthy way of nurturing little ones. Where do they get their ideas?) Just wanted to say "good for you."

angie said...

It used to bug me before I was a nursing mom. But now id nurse anywhere! We need to change the way society feels about it, so it isn't weird or unaccepted, and so new moms will nurse more!
You looked beautiful in that picture. Very discrete. You should find a way to save that picture, because one day you'll miss nursing. And many people don't have a picture of them with their babies!
See you soon!