The media (and many individuals engaged in science) seem to perpetuate an image of the lofty scientist: that science is done by intellectually superior individuals and that they are in some way qualitatively distinct from the rest of humanity. They are objective, empirical, rigorously stoic individuals, unbound by the passions of humanity, whose thoughts are incomprehensible to normal people like you in I. How false this image is. I mean, in most ways the image of the lofty scientist is utterly false. As it turns out, "scientists" are ordinary human beings. They are bound by the same human passions and desires as the rest of us and given enough time and effort, most of us can reach some measure of parity in understanding and knowledge. If we can not become equals in understanding, then at least we can close the gap somewhat. I find that the intellectual gap between scientists and average non-scientists is often exaggerated.
Talking about science right now is not my main goal; however, it does provide context for what I want to say.
I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - a "Mormon" (I wish people knew a little bit more about who Mormon was and what he did - I think they would appreciate his contributions). I am absolutely convinced of the truthfulness of Mormonism. As a wise man once said, "Truth is Mormonism. God is the author of it." I am a Christian. I believe that the Son of God literally atoned for the mistakes we have made and will made and that we could not become perfect without some way to account for our imperfections.
I believe that mankind may become perfect and the progress towards this goal is one of the fundamental desires of most people. I believe that many good, honest, and intelligent people's actions are completely in line with this goal despite their belief that their bodies will decay and that their consciousness, their identity, will completely cease to exist after their death.
From both a psychological standpoint and an intuitive standpoint I think that atheists, especially those who are such good people (many I know are), have to straddle a difficult contradiction: that they work for progress in a world without meaning, without justice, and without continuity after death as if there were in fact meaning, justice, and continuity after death.
I've heard people appeal to evolution to explain why they are such nice people while still rejecting the idea that life has meaning or that it continues after death. This is the "I've been programmed to feel good when I do good" response. I think it's a cop out and doesn't really match up to reality. Some of the best, most charitable people I know reject the existence of a higher intelligence or of organization and structure in the universe, yet they Sacrifice so much for a reward that is almost impossible to identify from a secularist perspective. Sacrifice is painful - it doesn't feel good. People sacrifice because it has meaning. Sacrifice in a meaningless world seems to defy logic. Sacrifice with the full knowledge that it has no meaning would have to either be genetically compelled (I've never met someone who seemed genetically compelled to sacrifice for the greater good/society/ their species etc.), or they are doing it because they reject the proposition that life is a random accident, void of meaning or continuity.
I believe in Mormonism because I read the Book of Mormon, I've prayed about it, asking if it is true, and I've Felt, as strongly as I could, both intellectually and emotionally, that it is true.
I believe, despite some common limitations placed on the word, that to reject such a revelation would be irrational.
No one I know - no scientist even, claims to live, or acts like they live in a valueless world. Science admittedly does not (cannot) answer questions concerning value systems. If rationality is defined as "scientific," then two implicit conclusions are 1) the most important determinates of our behavior are irrational, and 2) all people are irrational.
However, if one defines rationality as identifying the most appropriate means to succeed in this life and if one defines success as being truly happy, then one need not call all people irrational. Rationality is achievable.
Science remains a critical component to rationality, but is no longer the most important component.
Rationality sees values as important, and grades values on their ability to lead to happiness ("By their fruits ye shall know them"). "The Truth Shall Set You Free."
Belief in a eternal structure, order, continuity after death, and a plan of salvation designed to help men become happy cannot be gained through scientific observation. However, it is rational.
In fact, experiments can be more valuable when they are applied on an individual level with the unobservable than they would be to that individual if they were strictly observable with the human eye.
I did not know that Mormonism was true until I read the actual Book of Mormon, and asked God (not knowing if he even existed) if it was true. Unlike many scientists, I approached my experiment without bias. I did not know if God existed or if the Book of Mormon was true. I wanted to know, and I was willing to base my value system on my answer. My answer was a confidence in the truthfulness of Mormonism that has never been paralleled by learning through appeal to authority. Thus, my faith is not blind in the sense that it exists without evidence. My faith is completely based upon evidence. It is unobservable however, and thus it will remain individual to me, the experimenter.
I started off about talking about the "Lofty Scientist." The idea is dangerous not only because it is false, but because it encourages people to stop thinking. It's as if some authority figure is saying, "I'm smarter than you, I'll think for you so that you don't have to think." Yes, we learn through numerous appeals to authority. We need to learn that way. However, appeals to authority can be destructive if they discourage independent thinking, learning, and understanding. I contend that despite popular misconception, Mormonism encourages more independent thinking than the scientific community does. Most scientists are "independent-thinkers" only in their area of expertise. They know one area and take everything else on authority - because someone said so. Mormonism boldly claims that individual knowledge is essential to salvation!
Thus it is, and I feel the need to bear my witness that Mormonism is true. It is the reason why I have such a great family. If wisdom is knowing how to succeed at life, knowing what is rational, then the wisest thing I ever did was take a chance and experiment on Mormonism. I don't know where I would be without it, but I know that the life events that have brought me the greatest happiness are a direct result of abiding by the principles and tenants of an eternal plan, designed by God for us, revealed through prophets in our days, and colloquially referred to as "Mormonism." I call it abiding by truth, seeking wisdom, or merely, choosing to live a rational life.
No comments:
Post a Comment