
For the past 6 months Aaron and I have been back and forth about getting a dog. On Friday, out of the blue, Aaron says we should go look at dogs at the pound. I of course seized the opportunity and we went Friday afternoon to 2 different shelters. We were pretty disappointed after going to the first but decided to go to the Lexington Humane Society just to see what they had. We did our initial walk through, only looking at female dogs under the age of 2. We first decided to look at a 4 month old boxer mix and she was just way to excited. She immediately knocked over the boys and they started crying. So Aaron went to put her away and I started looking again. That's when I found the perfect dog! She is a 1 year old stray Anatolian Shepherd (we've done some research and think she might have some Great Pyrenees in her too). She is the sweetest, gentlest dog I've ever known. We spent about a half hour with her in one of the "Get Acquainted" rooms and she just walked around and sniffed the boys and let them tug on her hair and pet her not so gently. We even pulled out some snacks for the boys and she didn't take a single one from them. She's already house trained, she sits when you tell her to, and she knows the word "No!" We couldn't have asked for a better dog. We named her Aiko (pronounced eye-ko) which is a Japanese name.

She loves to be outside. Unfortunately it has been raining since she got here so we can't let her out for very long. She already made friends with the dog behind us and is always looking out the window for her. As you can see her hair is super long and thick. We gave her a bath yesterday because she stank and it took her all day to dry off. I think her hair is her only downfall - she sheds like crazy. But I have to sweep and vacuum almost everyday because of the boys so it won't be too much more work.

She would sleep on our couch all day if I let her (I've already caught her lounging on the couch several times and have had to kick her off). The boys were playing with their couch and I guess she figured that would have to do. It looks like I'm going to have to get her a doggy bed.

I think Noah and Eli really love having a dog. They always get so excited whenever they see a dog. I just have to keep reminding them to be gentle. They think its hilarious to feed her stuff and they just crack up whenever she takes food out of their hands.
6 comments:
I'm a little jealous! She's beautiful!
Too funny. Congrats!
Cute, I love big dogs. Your a brave woman, it's like getting a new kid!
She is so cute! She sounds like the ideal dog.
She si beautiful!!! I am so jealous. I really want a dog.
Aw, what a beautiful dog you have! She looks like a real sweetie. I think there is something really magical about having the right dog around small children, and the speecial relationships they form. Congrats on the new addition!
Post a Comment