27 January 2009

Our big lil' boys

Eli
Last week we took Eli in for a kidney ultrasound and some lab work. The ultrasound showed that his left kidney has been growing but his right kidney has pretty much stayed the same size since the last ultrasound in September. This is basically what we expected. His left kidney is growing and compensating for the failure of his right kidney, which will never really grow and function. But his labs came back great, even after we took him off Bicitra (medicine that helped with the pH level in his blood). All in all, he is growing and doing great! He is about 26 inches long and last weighed 13 pounds 14 ounces. He is a big jabber-mouth and loves sucking his thumb. He seems to have forgotten how to roll from his belly to his back but can almost roll from his back to his belly. He holds his head up really well now, looking less like a bobble-head doll every day. He smiles, laughs, and squeals with excitement all the time. He's just a cute lil' guy.
Noah
Noah is a happy lil' baby. He is full of smiles all the time. He eats like a champ. He opens his mouth real big whenever he sees his spoon and always eats every last bite of his cereal. He smiles the entire time he's being fed which can make eating pretty complicated and messy. He loves blowing raspberries and spit-bubbles. His new favorite feat is rolling over onto his belly. This is actually an annoying feat for me and Aaron because he has not yet mastered rolling back over. It seems like every time I blink my eyes he is back kicking and flailing on his tummy wanting to be turned over. I think we have finally figured out the whole sleeping thing (thanks to Dr. Weissbluth). The boys go down to sleep usually around 6pm and don't get up until 6 or 7am. They have never cried at night longer than an hour and usually only wake up once during the night. In fact, Eli slept 2 nights in a row last week and we were scolded by his kidney doctor. Apparantly 12 hours without eating is too long for him. Naps are a bit more complicated but we have been working on getting them to fall asleep on their own in their cribs to take a nap. Hopefully we'll have it down by the end of next week.

8 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so glad to hear that Eli's labs came back good, and that he is progressing so well. You're little guys sure are cute!!

Amber said...

I love that picture of Noah sleeping...at least I think it's Noah. So cute! I'm happy that Eli's kidney is doing okay and that his lab work was good.

beapinkal said...

Hi Amanda,
This is Bea from the BYu 85th word. I love your blog and your little boys are so cute. So what did you do to help them to sleep better? My son (5month old)takes really short naps during the day and he wakes up a lot of times during the night. Any tips that worked for you?

Tricia said...

Your boys are so cute and I'm so happy they are doing so well! Wave has only one kidney. Her Creatnene was always good, her right kidney had fluid on it. After all the tests and surgery to remove in, her kidney was just deformed, and would never function. Her left kidney is bigger than normal and has a little bit of fluid on it, but it functions at 100%! Good luck with Eli and his medical issues, he's a trooper!

John and Erin said...

I just love those little boys!! Cereal faces and all!

Amanda Duke said...

Bea,
Our boys were horrible sleepers so I ordered a book out of desperation that saved us. The books is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Weissbluth.

We started just putting them to bed around 6 or 7 at night and letting them cry until they fell asleep. We gave ourselves times during the night that we could go in and check on them and limited it to 2 times during the night. We started waking them up every morning at 7am and they usually are ready for a nap by 9am. Once they are awake after a nap I make sure that they are only up for about 2 hours before I put them down again for another nap. I have recently started putting them down for naps awake and letting them soothe themselves to sleep. If they are still awake or crying after an hour I go to them.

I know it seems kind of harsh to just let them cry but they need to learn how to soothe themselves to sleep. I find they sleep a lot better and longer when they fall asleep on their own without me rocking them to sleep.

I suggest getting that book. He has several methods in the book that you can use, but with twins, the easiest for us is to just let them cry it out.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the sleep! Thats hard enough with one baby, can't imagine two.

Melanie said...

Yay for good tests, rolling over and sleeping! I seriously have a testimony of that book- it's the best! Congrats on all the successes- your boys are getting cuter and cuter!