12 July 2011

Potty update

This whole potty training thing is no fun. I told Aaron it is probably one of the hardest things I have had to do as a mom. It just requires a lot of patience and praise even though it is extremely frustrating.

Eli has done amazing well. The first 2 days he was completely against it. He would get really upset whenever I sat him on the toilet and throw a fit. Then on the 3rd day he just got it. It was pretty amazing!

Noah has been a bit trickier. He still hasn't really gotten it. He knows he is supposed to pee/poo on the potty. When he has an accidents he tells me he peed/pooped and seems distraught about it. I have him sit on the potty when he has an accident and help me clean it up. I have him show me where he is supposed to potty and where he had the accident. I give him rewards for going and he is really proud of himself when he does go on the potty. He just always says "no" when I ask him if he needs to use the potty or tell him he needs to let me know if he needs to go potty.

Today I think I discovered the solution - doughnuts. I ran out this morning on an errand and returned with some Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Noah jumped up and exclaimed, "DOUGHNUT!" when I walked in the door. I told him he could have a doughnut if he peed on the potty. He immediately dropped his drawers and proceeded to use the potty. Score! That's when I realized I needed some doughnut holes. Aaron and I picked some up from Kroger this evening when we picked up some dinner. I told Noah that if he peed on the potty he could have a doughnut. Without hesitation he exclaimed, "Pee!" and pulled down his underwear in the living room and waddled down the hall to the bathroom to pee in the potty. I wasn't expecting it to work so quickly! We'll see if it continues to motivate him tomorrow :)

No comments: