12 November 2008

Colic

Amanda bought a book the other day by some renown pediatrician about baby sleeping problems. I was surprised to find that this book explains Noah and Eli's behavior as that of the typical colicky baby. I don't know why I never considered them colicky - I guess I didn't know what colic really was. In fact it remains a largely mysterious condition (possibly caused by some imbalance of serotonin and melatonin in the brain and gut). I did know that they are fussy all of the time and that if we don't hold them they will most likely cry. I did know that their fussing/crying is worst in the evenings starting at about 8PM and lasting till midnight (this pattern is seen in 81% of babies with colic). I did know that at times Noah and Eli can be as frustrating as sin when they refuse to sleep or eat. I don't know why knowing that they are colicky is helpful. It's like the classic situation in which someone's medical condition goes undiagnosed for ever and when it is finally diagnosed the person is relieved just to know that they are not making it all up in their head. Anyways, most of you will probably think - "duh." I can tell people Noah and Eli are really colicky instead of saying they are really fussy. I guess the symptoms are the same, but when people say they had a colicky baby I can be like "yep, know what that's like." It's rough. The greatest news though was that colic goes away in 95% of babies by about the fourth month. That means that Noah and Eli have approximately a month and a half left of colic proneness. Very hopeful news. Especially after last night where I was up with Eli from about 2 to 5 AM while he cried refusing to be consoled. Well, I feel like this post is kind of ridiculous and long so I'll add a ton of pictures (apparently we have been slacking in our posting duties). I'm not going to label who is who - see if you can figure it out.
(Reluctant Sleep)
(You have something on the corner of your mouth)
(All smiles)
(What's up with that sleeve)
(Both of them smiling - classic)
(Both of them again)
That's all for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Us malcontents appreiciate the new post and as I told Amanda, the new post is a request from the adoring masses.
Eli
Eli
Noah
Noah
Eli, Noah
Eli, Noah.
A happy Grandfather.

E said...

I am glad grandpa posted first, because I can tell them apart when they are together, but by themselves they really look similar. THey are so cute and the colic will pass:)

Amanda Duke said...

I have to make a correction...the one with the sleeve is Eli not Noah. Don't worry Dad, Mom got it wrong too :)