09 December 2009
Housewife
Being a "housewife" (stay-at-home mom) is not as easy as it may seem. I used to look at moms that stayed at home and wonder, "What do they do all day?" Now when I look at other moms I wonder, "How do they keep their house so clean?" I find it nearly impossible to clean my house. I can't do the dishes without the boys climbing into the dishwasher or grabbing a knife. I can't do the laundry without the boys climbing in the dryer or throwing my folded laundry all over the floor. I can't keep the living room clean because as soon as I put all the toys away or sweep up all the crumbs, the boys are back into the toy bins or dropping goldfish on the floor.
The bedrooms are generally a mess because I can't leave the boys out in the living area alone long enough to put everything away. I just now finally got around to unpacking the boys' stuff from our trip to Michigan 2 weeks ago. The main reason I haven't done this yet is because their room needed some serious organization. Their dresser was overflowing with 2 black contractor bags full of too small clothes. Once I got all of that out of there I was finally able to put all their new clothes away. I packed away all the bibs we don't use anymore, wash cloths, burp rags, baby blankets, socks, and shoes. This opened up storage for all of the new toy blocks they just got from their grandpa. I changed their crib sheets and made room in the closet for a big box of diapers. All of this only took me 2 hours to do. It takes me so long because every 5-10 minutes I have to go out and see what they are screaming about or, even worse, why they are so quiet.
I don't really know where I'm going with all of this. I guess I'm just trying to say that even though the work of a housewife/mom is theoretically "simple," in practice it is actually quite difficult and complicated. I set small goals every day. Today my goals were to work out at the Y, go to the Post Office, and clean either my bedroom or the babies' bedroom. So far I've accomplished all those goals, but my work is never ended. I still need to do the dishes, finish the laundry, clean my room (which is atrocious), put away all the toys, and sweep and vacuum the living room. And all I really want to do is sit on the couch and watch an episode of House.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My theory is I do not deep clean until Saturday's and then during the day I only clean stuff up after the kids go to bed. I actually enjoy cleaning and organizing so to me it is therapeutic once the kids are in bed to renew our home. At least I know it will be clean for roughly 8-12 hours. I really enjoyed how you wrote this post, it is unfortunately accurate!
Oh, my gosh I totally know what you mean! Adam and I are always asking each other "How do so and so keep their house so clean with all those kids?" Honestly, it must just get easier when they get older. Maybe then we can put them to work and get a moment to ourselves! Until then I will stick with my some-what cluttered house I guess! (and by the way, the one time I was at your house it looked great and I thought to myself- "How does she keep it so clean?" ha.
It makes me feel so much better that you said that. I feel like I work all day and have nothing to show for it because the second something gets cleaned, it gets messed up again. And I only have one baby!
Oh how I hear ya on this! When people think oh you just stay at home with two kids what's so hard about that... uh huh well you stay home with two kids for a week and we'll see what you want to do, a 40 hour a week job is a breeze (well depending on what you do). But yes, it seems that nothing ever gets done and half the time you're just trying to stay afloat hahaha. Sometimes I wonder is this it for the next 20 some odd years. Then I see my two little girls laughing up a storm and think, that's a-okay with me.
Amen sista! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Post a Comment