28 June 2015

The patch



Silly faces before church (she was eating cereal so there is even some milk dripping out of her mouth for effect).

Unless you've seen Sarah or a picture of her from the past 2 months, you probably don't know that she got glasses. I wanted to have her eyes rechecked this year because she failed her eye screening at her well child check last year (when she was 3). I took her to the eye doctor at Yale and she kind of hemmed and hawed for awhile when she was checking Sarah's vision. I asked if she needed glasses and she said, "That's what I'm trying to figure out." After doing several different things she decided she was fine. It was just a strange exam so I thought we'd have her rechecked.

Well the little machine that checks your vision decided that Sarah has 20/20 vision in her right eye, but her left eye has a slight prescription. It has a slight astigmatism as well as a mild prescription for nearsightedness I believe. This was not a pediatric eye doctor so he didn't really have the tools needed to see how well she could see or not since she doesn't know very many letters yet. I decided to just get the glasses since they were covered by insurance anyway. I also figured we might as well patch the good eye a couple hours every day as well. I want to give her the best chance possible of strengthening her weaker eye. The eye doctor explained that the eye-brain connection isn't fully complete until a kid is about 8 years old. Patching the good eye forces the weaker eye to work harder, making it stronger. Glasses help train the eye how to focus.

This was the day she got her glasses. She is so stinking cute!
It hasn't been a huge deal and since getting these eye patches from Amazon she has been content to pick out a new design each day. She wears it without a complaint for several hours. I initially thought a patch that went over her glasses would be more comfortable, but she prefers the Ortopad sticky eye patches.



I think she looks pretty darn cute with the patch!


No comments: