28 May 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge



I haven't done a diaper post in awhile :)

This past week I participated in Dirty Diaper Laundry's 2nd annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge. For 7 days I used flat diapers (old school single layer square of fabric that you fold into a diaper) and I had to wash them by hand and hang them to dry. I decided to do the challenge this year as a way to help raise awareness that you can diaper your child for cheap (I payed $19.95 for 12 flats and used covers that I already had on hand. However, you can purchase covers for less than $9 and you only need about 4 of them if you are washing every day.). Did you know some families are so desperate for diapers that they are actually reusing disposable diapers!? Check out an article about it here. I was also excited to participate to help raise money for Giving Diapers, Giving Hope, a charity organization that provides needy families with cloth diapers.

It was actually a fun challenge. I know it sounds crazy but it was exciting to know that I could diaper a baby in extreme circumstances using just an old receiving blanket. I discovered that I love a pad folded flat. It's so simple. Just fold it up into a small rectangle and lay inside a cover. Since they are just one layer thick they are super easy to clean and dry really quickly. The week is over and I'm still reaching for them when I change Sarah's diaper.

 This is a pad folded flat laid inside a gdiaper.

For half of the week I was in Chicago. I brought along my 5 gallon bucket, rubber gloves, and laundry detergent and washed her diapers every night in the hotel. I used an old 5 gallon bucket we had left over from construction on the house. I first rinsed the diapers out with cold water. I then dumped that water out, wrung out the diapers, and then filled the bucket back up with hot water and detergent. I used a big spoon (I do not use it for cooking!) or my hands to agitate the diapers for several minutes and then let them soak for several hours. The soak is crucial to getting the stink out of the diapers. I then dumped the water and wrung them out again. I rinsed several more times until all the suds were gone and then hung to dry. Rolling the diapers and covers up in a towel and stepping on it to squeeze out excess water sped up drying time.

 Drying my diapers in the hotel bathroom. Conveniently, there were retractable clotheslines in the bathroom.

I will admit, the handwashing part was definitely a challenge. I probably would have been tempted to give up if I was at home and had a washer and dryer to use. Being in Chicago, I really had no other option since I didn't bring extra diapers. I had to wash them if I wanted clean diapers the next day. I also found it ironic that my baby that usually poops every 2, sometimes every 3, days was pooping multiple times per day. It's like she knew I was washing them by hand! I'm glad I survived the week and completed the challenge though. As long as Sarah's still in diapers, I'll be participating again next year in the 3rd annual challenge.

No comments: