I am a believer in hobbies. They are what keep me sane when my life revolves around little kids, cleaning up their messes, doing loads and loads and loads of laundry, preparing multiple meals per day, homeschooling, etc. I tend to get a little obsessive about things and get on kicks. Lately my kick has been trying to go to a more natural foods diet (i.e. cutting out highly processed foods, using whole wheat flour instead of white, using natural sweeteners, organic dairy and meats, etc.). I also have a new found obsession with wanting a couple of dairy goats. I also want chickens, but lately I've been researching all about goats. I know I'm sort of a weirdo, but some of my crazy ideas have really paid off.
In college I wanted to learn how to make quilts. I learned from my Aunt Rosie, spending many late evenings over at her house learning how to cut fabric and use a sewing machine. Before learning to quilt, I had never even used a sewing machine. I've made too many quilts to count now, many of them as gifts for other people. I just finished this quilt top and hope to find someone to quilt it before Sarah's 3rd birthday. Deb found the "God Gave Us" quilt panel; I designed this quilt using the squares from the panel. I love it.
When I was pregnant with Sarah I wanted to learn how to crochet. I signed up for a class that met once a week for something like 8 weeks. It was the perfect escape from the twins to get out once a week and chat with other women and learn a new skill. I mostly crochet hats and scarfs and cute baby things as gifts. I just finished this baby blanket last month for a family member.
And then while I was cloth diapering Sarah (another one of my obsessions) I started to get into more natural things. I randomly decided it would be cool to learn how to make soap. I researched online and read books and watched countless numbers of Youtube videos before I decided to give it a try. It's probably my favorite hobby. I love the artistic side to soapmaking and that it is relatively quick to do in the evening after the kids have gone to sleep. Plus I haven't had to buy soap in well over 2 years!
 |
| Hot process method - scented with Apple Jack. |
 |
| Hot process method - scented with Lavender & Basil |
 |
| Cold process method - scented with Lavender & Tea Tree essential oils |
 |
| Cold process method - no scent. Aaron bought me this little mold for Christmas. How adorable are they!? |
 |
| Cold process method - with honey and cucumber puree, scented with Clove essential oil. These molds were also gifts from Aaron for Christmas. I love them. |
3 comments:
Amanda, it was fun to read about and see photos of some of your hobbies! I know what you mean when you say they help keep you sane, and I also tend to become obsessive about mine--which happen to include eating natural foods, quilting, and sometimes crochet (although I generally prefer knitting). It's fun to know you can relate, and I am full of admiration for your soap-making skills and your goat-keeping aspirations, in addition to everything else you do!
I think this post show very well the creative artsy person you are and showcases your talent well.
Dad
Hobbies are SO important! It's too bad we didn't get to know each other better when you lived here! We could have gotten into a lot of hobby 'trouble', as our interests are so similar! ;)
Post a Comment