24 December 2013

Christmas Eve

We had a fun Christmas Eve today. We took the kids to see Frozen, and it was so cute. After getting home and relaxing a bit, we made cookies for Santa and opened their Christmas Eve jammies. They didn't know they were just getting pajamas though, so the boys were a little bummed.  Sarah squealed though; she was thrilled for her new "jamas!"

Excited to open their pajamas!

Still adjusting to the fact that the first present they got was pajamas! haha

Cookies for Santa and carrots for his reindeer and our Christmas pickle.

I kept joking with the boys that I was getting them pickles this year for Christmas. They kept nagging me about why I wasn't getting them presents and I assured them that I was getting them presents and that they were pickles. "You're just joking on us right?" At one point I mentioned that I couldn't wrap their presents in front of them because it was a secret. Eli said, "No, I know what I'm getting. Pickles! Remember?" He was pretty convinced!

I was pretty surprised when I Googled "Christmas pickle" and discovered that there is a Christmas tradition involving a pickle! A pickle ornament is hid in the tree on Christmas Eve and the first to find it Christmas morning has a year of good fortune, or an extra gift, or whatever. We've decided to make this a tradition in our house, but the first kid to find the pickle will get to open the first present. I also love that I found a pattern for a crocheted pickle ornament.

The first thing they'll see when the come down in the morning: a new easel from Ikea.

How do we always end up with so many presents!? I though it would be a small Christmas this year since it's just us but then my dad came with presents from everyone in Michigan and Deb sent a bunch of presents. Aaron thought we were done putting out presents before we even put out the stuff from us and Santa!

No comments: